Colonel Gigi A. Simko is the Commander of the 45th Medical Group at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. The group supports missions at Patrick Air Force Base and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, Human Space Flight liaison functions, 216 geographically separated/tenant units and 4 mission partners. A team of 311 personnel manage a 63 million dollar defense health plan budget executing quality patient centered care for 53,000 beneficiaries in Central Florida. The medical group trains and equips medics to execute contingency requirements of the Air Force and Space Command while mitigating occupational and bioenvironmental risks.
Col. Simko graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1996. She has worked in five major commands in various functional areas at the military treatment facility, wing and headquarters levels. She has deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to her current assignment, she was chief of the Health Benefits Division at the Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland-Kelly, Texas.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Biology, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1998 Master of Business Administration, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
2002 Squadron Officer School
2006 Air Command and Staff College
2011 Air War College
1. August 1996 - August 1998, Director, Resource Management, 70th Medical Squadron, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1998 - January 1999, Flight Commander, Personnel and Administration, 9th Medical Support Squadron, Beale Air Force Base, Calif.
3. January 1999 - January 2000, Flight Commander, Medical Information Services, 9th Medical Support Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
4. January - July 2000, Flight Commander, Business Operations and Beneficiary Support, 9th MDSS, Beale AFB, Calif.
5. July 2000 - June 2001, Wing Executive Officer, 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale Air Force Base, Calif.
6. June 2001 - May 2002, Flight Commander, TRICARE, 436th Medical Support Squadron, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
7. May 2002 - July 2004, Group Practice Manager, 436th Medical Operations Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
8. July 2004 - August 2007, Group Practice Manager, Primary Care Services, 88th Medical Operations Squadron, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
9. January 2007 - May 2007, Clinic Commander, 386th Expeditionary Medical Support, Administrator and Executive Officer, 386th Expeditionary Medical Group, Southwest Asia
10. August 2007 - June 2009, Chief, Patient Administration, Health Benefits Division, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2009 - June 2010, Fellow, Medical Service Corps Force Structure Management, Office of the Surgeon General, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2010 - July 2011, Associate Director, Medical Service Corps, and Senior Analyst, Medical Personnel and Data Management Division, Office of the Surgeon General, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2011 - July 2014, Commander, 48th Medical Support Squadron, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
14. July 2014 - July 2016, Commander, 60th Medical Support Squadron, David Grant Medical Center, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
15. July 2016 - July 2017, Chief, Health Benefits Division, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Joint Base San Antonio Lackland-Kelly, Texas
16. August 2017 - Present, Commander, 45th Medical Group, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal with one device
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with one device
1999 Air Combat Command Medical Information Systems Team of the Year
2003 Company Grade Officer of the Year, 436th Medical Group, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
2013 United States Air Forces in Europe’s Commitment to Service Award
2014 American College of Healthcare Executives Service Award
2014 American College of Healthcare Executives Governor’s Award
2017 American College of Healthcare Executives Distinguished Service Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
Regent for Air Force, American College of Healthcare Executives, 2016 - Present
Toastmasters International, 2009-2013
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1996
First Lieutenant May 29, 1998
Captain May 29, 2000
Major Sept. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2010
Colonel Jan. 1, 2017
(Current as of Match 2018)